Sunday, April 1, 2012

Tethered

Today’s photo, which was found on the internet, can be viewed with mixed emotions. My first thought was that of a loyal and loving companion anxiously waiting for her master to return.

 My next emotion was that of concern and pity……how long had this poor neglected dog been tethered to the post? Why isn’t there some water? Did the dog feel abandoned?

In my poem, I took the side of an unhappy dog and tried to add a little humor.



Hey Buddy, got a moment to spare?
Want to hear my story? Pull up a chair

It’s a sorry situation into which I’ve been thrust
Tied here alone, like an antique, collecting dust

 I see lots of new people I’d sure like to meet
 And, some old friends I would love to greet

What a bummer! It’s such a nice summer day
And all I really wanted was to go out and play

But here I sit, agonizing, like a ship in dry dock
 Please listen to my bark. These “digs” don’t rock

Let me tell you a secret. . .  Here’s what I think
Phew! Lightpoles, like fire hydrants, really do stink!

                                                                 Poem by Herm Meyer



STUFF:

Some trivia…Here’s a poem Winston Churchill wrote for his
daughter. . . . . Mary’s Pet Pug.

Oh, what is the matter with poor Puggy-Wug?
Pet him and kiss him and give him a hug.
Run and fetch him a suitable drug.
Wrap him up tenderly all in a rug.
That is the way to cure Puggy-Wug.—

And on the humorous side:



No comments:

Post a Comment